History of PCHS
On May 14, 1968 the citizens of Pocahontas County, West Virginia, bonded themselves to the fullest potential of $1,195,000 to begin a building program to construct, furnish, and equip a central high school.
This new "family" combines the former Green Bank, Hillsboro, and Marlinton High Schools and brought our high school students together for an enlarged and more inclusive program.
Hillsboro High School came into existence in March, 1911 when the Board of Education of Little Levels District passed an order establishing a district high school at Academy (now Hillsboro). By September, 1912 a new building was ready for both grade and high school students. Hillsboro High School closed in 1970 to be joined with Marlinton and Green Bank in the new Pocahontas County High School.
*Information came from History of Pocahontas County, West Virginia 1981
Green Bank High School opened in September, 1917 as a compromise location between Durbin and Cass. The original building sat on 4 acres of land and consisted of an auditorium and service area in the basement, four classrooms on the second floor and four classrooms, library and office on the third floor. Over the years other areas were added until the building was closed in 1970.
Marlinton High School was built in 1917 as the 10 room Edray District High School. Basketball games were played in the Opera House until a gymnasium, science labs and library were added in 1926. In 1933, the name was changed to Marlinton High School with the advent of the county school system. The high school closed in 1970 when the county consolidated the three high schools.