From humble beginnings.
The cornerstone of Marlinton Grade School was laid in 1906. The original building had four classrooms on the first floor and two classrooms and a large auditorium on the second floor. The first principal was Mr. L. W. Burns. Eventually Mr. Burns began teaching high school level classes in the auditorium. From this small beginning, a three year high school developed which was called Marlinton High School. The present Marlinton Elementary School was built near the original location in 1977, and the cafeteria is located on the exact location of the original school. (information taken from History of Pocahontas County, West Virginia in an article written by Pearl Carter Ward, one of four original graduates of the first high school).
The cornerstone of our present building was placed on September 28, 1977 after the citizens of the county approved a tax levy to construct three new elementary schools in the county. Several additions have been added to that original building to create the building we have today.